Sustainability, le terme du jour..

But you have not here described sustainable food.
That is the point.
You can have no objections to sustainable food whilst at the same time hate “sourcing food from the scraps of restaurants and supermarkets, to repurpose for creating sustainably-derived dishes.”
This is just another example of how poorly thought out the threads are on this Forum.

I’m pretty sure that MacDonald’s’ is keen to sustain their production of burgers. And since our running definition of sustainable seems to be something like "sourcing food from the scraps of restaurants and supermarkets, to repurpose for creating sustainably-derived dishes. "
It would indicate that once again the whole thread is pretty empty headed.

PS As far as I know Mac burgers are claimed to be 100% beef - no preservatives.
And let’s hope that the claim much of the beef comes from Brazil since the quality of the meat is better than US beef fed on corn and hormones.

…and yet all the other contributors on this thread had no problem in replying to it?

Did you read the OP? it states what sustainable dining out is.

Do you remember that time, that for years MacDonald’s sustained the claim that their fries were 100% potato and it turned out that they never were… why lie about that? I’m sure that their 100% ‘beef’ burger is heavily preserved… just like the rest of their products are. I stopped eating fast food when I started getting sick/intolerant to it, and then they started adding those same suped-up preservatives to every-day foods and I stopped eating those too… and now I ate like my ancient ancestors and love it.

Have you seen the videos of peoples’ MacDonald’s meal being perfectly preserved and mould-less, months and years later? Is that a natural preservative, do you think?
__
Not just MacDonald’s, but Subway are also equally guilty of using synthetic additives in their products. Have you ever watched Food Unwrapped? a food show that tells you what’s really in our food.

_
(Sustainable) life hacks…

Seriously no I do not remember that.
I would have thought is simple enough to test a burger and sue Macdonalds for large sums of cash. So why not do it?

No.
What makes you think they are real?

I never get scientific information from the gutter press, as they are notorious at bullshiting.
And I would not even wipe my arse with the Daily Mail.

But all this is pretty much irrelevant.
I’m not here to defend fast foods.
But you have not offered any evidence that these are not sustainable. Preservative could be as sustainable as anything else.

…because, in this ethically-forsaken country, companies do not have to proclaim if their produce contains any additives, thanks to EU policy… so there’s nothing to sue over, you see.

C8BEB709-5F74-4AC9-B9FC-4868357C845D.jpeg
In other countries, you can get to see what’s really in processed produce [wine, fruit juice, tinned goods, frozen goods, dried fruit, most things lol] …truly shocking. :open_mouth:

What makes you think they aren’t?

“A whopping 19 ingredients (potatoes, canola oil, soybean oil, hydrogenated soybean oil, natural beef flavor, hydrolyzed wheat, hydrolyzed milk, citric acid, dimethylpolysiloxane, dextrose, sodium acid pyrophosphate, salt, canola oil, corn oil, soybean oil, hydrogenated soybean oil, TBHQ, citric acid, [size=85]…19 Aug 2018[/size]”

I would say… that MacDonald’s fries are not sustainability-friendly… not with all those ingredients to cultivate and process, they ain’t.

Seriousy???
WTF do you not understand by this sentence?
But you have not offered any evidence that these are not sustainable. Preservative could be as sustainable as anything else.

Whether a food has preservatives or not is not in any way related to sustainability.

MacDonald’s as a case study:

…and I had said: “I would say… that MacDonald’s fries are not sustainability-friendly… not with all those ingredients to cultivate and process, they ain’t.”

MacDonald’s buys 3.4 billion pounds of potatoes per year, from Bill Gates apparently, and sells over 9 million lbs of french fries per day… so producing those 19 ingredients that are used on their fries, requires a lot of processing and growing of them first, coz… you know, they need to be manufactured first, enough for 9 million lbs of fries per day.

They, and other such companies, leave hefty carbon footprints behind them: “the more than 53m metric tons of greenhouse gas that McDonald’s produced in 2019, exceeds that of several European nations’ emissions.” :astonished:

Manufacturing in general:

Manufacturing a single preservative flavouring or colouring, takes a lot of manufacturing, to create just that one additive… for example, to create a single flavour can use up to 100 lab-made chemicals just to create that one flavour.

You do know manufacturing plants and processes require a huge amount of energy consumption, right? …running the factory, growing the produce, creating/manufacturing the additives, making the product, making the packaging, transportation, etc.

All these things makes their business sustainable.
There are many such examples.
Jam production makes growing strawberries and raspberries a sustainable activity since it enables the vendor to sell his wares when the fruit is out of season.
Clearly, though, to make jam you will need to add one of the most dangerous dietary preservatives available: sugar.

There are a couple of brands of jam that have no sugar added… I went to buy a marmalade a few days ago, and they were out of stock of all those brands. I can wait.

Such jams are much more environmentally friendly and sustainability-compliant, than those with sugar added… they taste so much better too.

Until you say what you mean by sustainable to the whole thread is nonsense.

There is no such thing as a jam with no added sugar. You’d have to replace is with something, since the natural sugar content of fruit does not permit it to be jam.
There is almost no sugar in strawberries, the sweetness is a natural sweetner.

_
Sustainability is the balance between the environment, equity, and economy

Sustainable practices are practices that meets the needs of the present without compromising the ability of future generations to meet their own needs, and support ecological, human, and economic health and vitality.

Sustainability presumes that resources are finite, and should be used conservatively and wisely with a view to long-term priorities and consequences of the ways in which resources are used.

Sugarless jams are classed as preserves or compotes and use a different type of pectin to set the product with… the fruit is lightly crushed (as opposed to mashed) and makes up over more than 50% of the product, of which less-sweet flavour’s may be enhanced by added grape juice.

_
All about da beaver… less beavers, the cause of the world-wide floods…
well, that and extreme-deforestation resulting in weak windbreaks.

The fact that you are forced to use artificial preservatives to keep them, does that make them more or less “sustainable”. If so why, if not why?

In other words - nothing to do with preservatives or artificial additive.

This question is way below my pay-grade… so go ask Google, or some other Browser or other.

What do you think?

The dumb inheriting the Earth? Please no! [-o<

I gave you a very long leash in this thread, and all you did was abuse it… f off!

_
Additives, by the trillions-of-tonnes, need to be manufactured… are you being deliberately obtuse again? is your name A Shieldmaiden, masquerading as Sculptor, or is it the other way round… coz you sure both have the same M. O. with me.