Something odd

Ben stated:

You know, I realized it was arrogant of me as well after I said it, only because of his reaction to it. But I know that I didn’t mean it arrogantly, I only meant to show him that despite him holding nunchucks, he was not going to have his way, in order to hopefully get him to leave them at home and solve his dilemma a little more rationally. I was worried that he might actually find them and hurt, or even kill them with the nunchucks (which had steel handles). But as you said, it was arrogant, and I do not condone arrogance even in a situation like that. I can, now, see many other possibilities of what I could have told him, something more relevant and effective than my initial statement.

I guess what I’m trying to say is, if I was him, I would have smacked me to for being so arrogant. :confused:

What’s your take?

heh heh :slight_smile:

something odd: my original doctor (who i havent seen for a while) told me 3 days ago, that when i was 17 i had developed a acute form of schizophrenia :astonished: - which [long story] ended up with me in a mental ward for 2 months :cry: :astonished: .

[b]xplicit[1]

imagining craziness is craziness. sane is depressing, sorry for lamping this on you lot its not like your counsellers or anything; its just this post has shown me that alot of you have weird ways :laughing: :slight_smile:. answering the question - yes i do hear voices in my mind, where else would i hear them.

1. /b ↩︎

.GET OVER YOURSELF.

• Superb!

At the age of 20ish I too developed Acute paranoid Schizophrenia, not really helped by my use of canabis etc - Kinda opened my mind to a whole new way of viewing things…
I don’t use any mind altering drugs now, but do smoke rollups (it really calms my mind and slows it down)- to alter my view on reality I mainly use sleep depravation. Not that my view on reality needs altering much, it’s pretty much surreal all the time for me (LSD never really leaves your system I was told?)

Anyway what’s this thread about?
Oh yes, talking with yourself.
Hmm not sure if I do that…

I have an interesting article that discusses this issue. It is actually quite complicated. I will see if I can find it but keep an open eye for it in the Psychology forum.

At the age of 4, I was unable to sleep at night due to incoherent voices and the sound of marching (which I later realized was my own heart beat :smiley:). I have often thought that this suggests that genetically, I have the potential for schizophrenia, although I have never had a case and probably never will.

It is interesting, one of my psychology teachers once told me that, every person is born with the potential for 20 or so disorders, but depending on their life experiences, they may or may not ever show up.

Im not sure where to post this, yet i must find some ideas or explination behind the phenomenon of Da sha voo.

Having not had it for sometime i got it twice in a day, both long and soon after eachother. I would appreciate any physiological explains or any explaintion of that matter!–if there could be one.

i only brought it up as the second time was only in the space of 15 minutes and both lasted longer then i usually remember; it lead me to thinking, could it be self injuiced or brought on casually? or is it just a sensation and nothing more? the dastardly thing about it is the knowing what’s happened before it happened - is it some phycic thing.

Tangential, but insofar as know that’s propaganda.

I have heard of an iterresting theory on déjà vu. I don’t know if it’s true but I’ll share it with you anyway.
When you see something the information goes from your eye to your brain to be analysed, and also goes from your eye to your memory. Part of the analysis would be to check the memory to see if this append before. Sometimes the information arrives in the memory before it gets analysed. So when your brain asks the question “Have I seen this before?”, your memory answers “yes”. And that would be déjà vu.

Hope this helps.

It makes sense, though this is a similar “cause” to how psychologists interpret scizophrenia. Still it is a explaination, thanks.

It is interesting that we do often communicate or “talk” to ourselves through thought. With such communication often leading to sex, this was the foundation of Freud’s thesis.

If we get down to the bare bones of life, it really comes down to not dying and reproduction. It seems ironic that these two concepts (death and sex) are commonly the most taboo of all. However, they are both perhaps the most dominant notions for us all.

Now it can be claimed that we do not always consider sex and this is a justifiable claim, but I think a lot of this comes from societal/religious implications making it a bitter topic. We DO consider sex quite often although we supress this in certain situations. The same applies to death. We suppress it, but it reigns considerably in all of our lives.

interesting thread…

I not only talk to my self, but I sometimes have the whole conversation down in writing as well ! I guess I find it comforting to have my thoughts laid out infront of me, but when I reached the point where my trash bin started to burst with scrunched up papers I started to slow down a bit… :unamused:

also, deja vu, something I’ve been experiencing ever since I could remember. I read an article about that once and its kinda like what Justifiedflow mentioned. here is some information I thought you might find interesting:

Deja vu:

Of the five human senses, it appears that the deja vu phenomenon only occurs to the sense of sight. Whether the other senses can be affected is unclear.
Going under the assumptions that it is exclusively a visual phenomenon, that it only seems to occur to certain people, and that there must be a physiological cause for the phenomenon, we consider the following possible explanation:

Any scene perceived by a normal person, is actually seen independently by each of the two eyes. That is how we accomplish three dimensional vision. Let us speculate for a moment that the signal path to the brain has a slightly different length from the two eyes. If this was the case, then the brain would get the signals from the first eye, and promptly process them and record them into memory. A moment later, the signals would arrive from the other optic nerve. The brain would then receive this signal, and immediately note that it seems very familiar, being very similar (virtually identical) to an image already in memory. But it wouldn’t be a memory from months or years earlier. It would have only been from a memory recorded a fraction of a second earlier! (The brain’s memory does not keep “time stamps” on individual memories and has no way of identifying when they first were recorded there. Under normal circumstances, other related experiences that include time-information usually give a person a cue as to when a memory was from.)

this was taken from : mb-soft.com/public/dejavu.html

Quite the interesting article, thanks for the link undisclosed.

you’re most welcome, dare i say i went through another deja vu whilst reading your reply :astonished: i should get thoes nerves examined !

I would say nothing is odd really. And talking to oneself is NOT a sign of madness. Look at it from a simple point of view, why complicate it? If I am talking to myself, why am I doing that? Obviously I need company because there is no one else to whom I can talk to or feel comfortable enough to converse with. Problem? Loneliness or lonesomeness. Solution? Find appropriate company that you like, love and feel comfortable with. It could be a TV, a computer, a person, people, hobbies, interests, etcetera.

I just wanted to add that just because we don’t have someone to converse with around us, we don’t suddenly start to talk to ourselves, so the inherent problem might actually have to do with love, attention and acceptance. Maybe, the person who talks to himself feels deprived of all that. I know my son started talking to himself in grade 1, long time back and so I started volunteering more at his school, I started to argue with him a lot too lovingly, and made friends with women from his school who had his age kids and so there was a lot of socialization. But mostly I think the problem resolved because I started giving the same attention to my son as I gave to my daughter, so he felt loved more than before. I didn’t realize I was neglecting him before. Whatever, I may be wrong.

Everybody talks to themselves at some point. When it comes to being stoned, I find that i talk to myself a lot more. I have also realised that the more i get high the more I stay in my head and become more anti-social. But then again this is just me. Either way though, talking to yourself is normal. Its often a way of figuring out things for yourself. Not nessecarily an indicator of a lack of confidence in others, i mean for the most part we usually trust ourselves more than anyone else. I think talking to yourself is healthy i mean it usually leads to a more well drawn and thought out action, which is better than just doin whatever.
Kesh said:

Were you high or drunk when you heard these voices? Or had you been earlier that day. I tend to have really freaky and weird dreams when im drunk, sometimes nightmares, but not any other time.
You also said:

I once read an article on dejavu’. It had a physiological explanation. I will post it later but it was basically saying that there are synapses between our eyes and brain. I dont know if thats the right word, but anyway it just said that sometimes it takes an image you see to get to your brain in one eye longer than it takes the other eye. So what happens is since your brain has already seen and percieved this image in the one eye, when the other transmits the same image it gives you the feeling that youve seen this before. I think it makes since but i will be sure to get you that article because i dont believe i explained it well.

I guess I shouldve read the entire thread before I posted, it seems as though undisclosed beat me to it; darn!