on discussing god and religion

May everyone be happy and safe, and may their hearts be filled with joy.

Or, even more pollyannish in our covid-19 age, “live long and prosper”. :laughing:

“Today is a good day to die.”

BTW Wishing someone well is not pollyannaish.

Note to others:

In this case, you decide. :sunglasses:

Special for this thread: May everyone be sad and in danger, and may their guts be full of misery.

:laughing:

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HD9PvujAnjE[/youtube]

Iambiguous is bitter and he wants to share it with us, so we’ll feel bitter too. Hence this thread.

Actually, I think the inflection embedded in my posts here revolves more around this:

He was like a man who wanted to change all; and could not; so burned with his impotence; and had only me, an infinitely small microcosm to convert or detest. John Fowles

I’m just not at all sure why. In other words, given the enormous complexity of human psychology given all of the many, many variables embedded in the existential interaction of genes and memes over time in a world awash in contingency, chance and change.

After all, I’m about as far removed from being in touch with the “real me” as one can possibly be in regard to relationships that revolve around value judgments and conflicting goods.

On the other hand, whatever either does or does not explain me here, it doesn’t make the part about religious folks attempting to explain why they choose particular behaviors here and now given a particular moral narrative given what they imagine their fate to be there and then go away.

And it doesn’t explain your own refusal to do so.

Right?

Instead you seem more content with philosophy here as fluffy little clouds. :wink:

It’s interesting. Iambiguous doesn’t accept as valid an expression of goodwill. What does that say about his mindset?

No, I don’t explore expressions of goodwill as though, philosophically, they can be encompassed in little fluffy clouds.

Expressions of Goodwill made a difference even in Auswitch. Read Viktor Frankl’s “Man’s Search for Meaning”.

Come on, Nazis were able to exchange expressions of goodwill, right?

As always, it depends on the context. That and the manner in which one views the world around them. God or No God.

Something, in fact, I seek to explore on this thread.

Just not with you.

Well, the Nazis were human after all. Do you wish to deny them any goodness whatsoever? What kind of malevolence denies good will so totally?

Note to Karpel Tunnel:

Please explain to him how he completely missed my point. :wink:

You need someone else to validate you. How sweet, Mr. Nihilist.

The only thing more dismal than your philosophical reach is your attempts at repartee.

Go ahead, ask anybody. :wink:

[size=50]except satyr[/size]

Love your pathetic appeal to " the crowd." Lol

Oh, I don’t want to get involved in judging people’s skills with repartee.

So, what are the cons of the behaviors you derive from your value judgments, especially related to how you go about gaining understanding of religions, Buddhism, and behaviors other than your own?

The quote is from the OP, and the context is you contrasting what you do with what ‘most folks’ do.

One set of behaviors is your approach to gaining knowledge about religions and other approaches to life: via words on a screen, demanding demonstrations that should convince all rational people to engage in the religion or approach, the refusal to participate in practices, and so on

What are the cons of your approach on this issue? And if that set of behaviors is not one you have spent hours and hours on yet, noting amongst other thing the cons, take those hours and hours now, we can wait, and get back to us on the cons. The pros, as you envision them, we have already heard about.

Show us that you are actually different from those ‘other folks’ when it comes to behaviors and values that actually matter to you.

Iambiguous–The answer to objective religion is subjective religion. Kierkegaard demonstrated this. C. G. Jung demonstrated this. All I have seen you do is attack objective religion. The real work is subjective. You don’t seem to see that. You’re unhappy and you want to bring everybody down with you. That’s evil. Show me how I’m wrong.