[movie] Troy

Well, that brings new meaning to “fucker” then.

:laughing:

I read the İliad a couple of years back, and wether they were that way, or Homer just made them that way, they were a bunch of coniving, hair-trigger-stab-your-ass-and-steal-your-armour psychopathic butchers, and that was just the women… :astonished:

The movie falls into the “Not bad I suppose” catagory. Ditto with Phaedrus - Butch Brad was surprising, and ditto with someone else, Orlando Gay-boy Bloom as Paris, Jeeze, put a sword in my hand and even I could have killed that stringbean. No elves in the İliad thankyou very much.

Skye, how come you never told me that my brother was your girlfriend. Just how long has this relationship been goin on?

On a side note, I really hated Troy.

I mean historical, and mythological innacuracies are one thing, but this drawn out poorly edited, poorly written drivle was something else all together. I felt that an excellent cast and a good story was totally wasted. It has become the movie that I compare to other bad movies and say “well, at least it wasn’t as bad as Troy.”

Oh, I get the theme of different ethics. How could I not? They drill it into you every chance they get. Characters state their objectives planely in several different scenes with only slighly varying words. I bet they could have cut 20-40 minutes of uneeded dialog from the movie and it would have been much tighter and made just as much sense. Also, Orlando Bloom is just plain bad in the role of Paris. Make all the arguments about character you want but he was flat (even more so than usual) and he was boring. Actually that’s the word I would use to describe this movie. Not even the action scenes (which were few and far between in my opinion.) were enough to bring this clumsy wanna-be epic any redeeming value.

And the whole sorted thing had such promise.

Thumbs down.

I can’t really say. We were just hoping you wouldn’t find out I guess. I mean, what would you think, us going behind your back and all?

But girlfriend? I wouldn’t put up with that kinda talk about your brother.

What’s with your brother and Orlando Bloom?

Not Olando Bloom in general. He just hated him as Paris. At least he’s never said anything about him in say… Pirates of the Carribean. Although I can say that he also has a crappy American accent, at least in Elizabethtown. But he does good work in the sword fights.

I think young men hate him because he’s attractive.

Something to look forward to is the fact that when you’re old enough to be his father he will appear to be a nice looking young man.

Actually, I’m sure that’s the case with a lot of people. Not necessarily the case with Gecota.

I thought we weren’t going to talk about that ever again.

well…

well, what?

I had a bad experience.

The film experience was bad for you…or something else?

both

What is hilarious is that we all have different perception of attractiveness. Me, Brad Pitt is gorgeous, but probably has the brain of a walnut. Others find Tom Cruise gorgeous. Uh, well, not at all. Bloom, sorta, but not really. Gibson was gorgeous in Gallipoli and his early, badly done Mad Max films, but he,… is very out to lunch and not so attractive now. Hey all, he is 53 now, so do not believe the PR bs, he was born the same year as I.

We all have personal taste in beauty, and art. To each her/his own.

Both?

Ok, I got the movie concept down, but did you also have problem with Orlando, or was it his attractive features that hurt you in some way. Did you have a physical encounter with him?

I reapeat, I had a bad experience.

Yes, I got thatbut it’s a bit broad, don’t you think?

i liked Troy, i never read the book because i havnt gotten around to it, so thats probably why i dont hate the movie.

i found the film to be interesting in that Achilles is fighting to achieve immortality and that is seen as his ultimate goal in life, what he believes to be the best that man can do.

you have Agammemnon trying to do the same thing however he is making other men fight the war for him so he can take Troy and go down in history.

which man is better? both of them are ruthless muderers.

the concept of honor is brought up, do you fight for yourself or do you fight for your country, Achilles believes you should fight for yourself, for your own glory.

The Trojans (Hector, and his father) believe that one should fight to protect his country, to them that is the greatest honor. Paris is shown as weak and selfish, and he is weak and selfish, he is an ineffectual man.

Achilles and Hector are the two ‘honorable’ men in the movie, Hector is powerful and so is Achilles however Hector is more of a man of morals and honor fighting for his country, while Achilles can be viewed as a hedonist, fighting for his own glory.

Which man is the winner ultimately? the hedonist

i guess none of that has anything to do with how well the film was made though, but i still liked it, thought the action scenes were super cool, i didn’t find it to boring to hold my attention eitheir my attention was hold the whole damn movie.