Money as Reward, Money as Vote

read above post as well

Carleas, if you don’t believe me, read this New York Times article…

google.com/amp/s/www.nytime … s.amp.html

That’s a tilde, I used it here to mean ‘approximately’. Good to know it reads as negative, though, and from wiki it seems it has other meanings when attached to numbers. I’ll try to say that in a different way going forward.

I have, and I’m sure they’re widely used. But I believe the numbers I provided are actual tax revenue, i.e. they are the taxes actually collected and thus take into account all loopholes.

Trump paid no taxes because he took a bath 20 years ago. His income was significantly negative during one year, and our tax system lets him spread that loss over time. One can argue with the best way to deal with the situation, but permitting people who take on significant risk to spread their losses and gains has merits. For one thing, it’s probably more accurate: if the nature of my business is that I make $200k a year with a 50% risk of losing a $100k, then my effective income over time is $50k a year.

I personally think income is the wrong target for taxation. Instead we should target consumption with a VAT and property or land value tax, which would avoid this problem (though it likely introduces its own quirky edge cases).

I agree.
You could distinguish the two approaches as acute and chronic fairness measures.
Shocks don’t work well with economies, especially when it comes to credit/lending.
And psychologically, smooth trends just become something to work around, like entropy or gravity.

I think this “Blue Shell Effect” being applied to Counterstrike is just hyperbolic. I’ve seen other much less dramatic terms being used, such as “Comeback Mechanics”, which mean just the same thing.
I wouldn’t be so hasty to dismiss the economic element of games like Counterstrike as not core to the experience - basically all games involve the management of resources to hopefully give you an advantage towards achieving a goal. The genre is more like the primary manner in which you manage your resources, and what sort of goal you’re looking to achieve + the aesthetics around it. For CS:GO, you use the mechanics of the losing team getting more money to your advantage just like you use the terrain - it’s just another limitation on the game to work around, like not using your hands in soccer unless you’re the goalkeeper, or hitting the ball over the net and inside the lines on a tennis court. Games wouldn’t be games without deliberate rules and restrictions, and with video games they don’t have to be static - they can be dynamic as well.

It’s just not rewarding when the Nash Equilibrium is to not play the game, like with “BS”: if all players opt to stay out of 1st position as soon as someone gets the item, then it’s arguable that everyone ought to immediately race in reverse as soon as a player picks one up (though in reality it’s a weighing of risk that punishes the biggest risk-taker). But RB gets around all this anyway, we seem to agree on this one.

I agree that our economy is significantly captured. The power of past winners is beyond sufficient to hold the vast majority to ransom to increase the power of past winners more and more. If there’s a threshold where a balance in inequality is kept in check, we passed it.

I think it’s a little generous to think of “people who earn genuine admiration who don’t get paid much to do it” as “at the top”. I’m not being cynical or materialistic, I’m just not underestimating the power that the rich have over the world in all respects, regardless of earning any amount of disdain. No matter how loved you are or how much political influence you have due to the good you do, if you’re not paid enough to place you up there with the disdained rich, realistically your power is only superifical. It’s trade that makes the world go round.

What should be noted about the current situation of the world is where real value lies - and it’s with those who don’t earn nearly enough admiration for the good they do, and whose monetary compensation is practically negatively correlated with contemporary pay structures. The left has always known this. I’m not even sure that rectifying this would actually result in less growth as you seem to fear? But I do know that growth for the sake of growth has a lot to do with merely allowing free markets to survive rather than being necessarily socially important. Funding is attracted through a good return/interest, which is maximised overall by overall growth, and simplified when more funds are in the hands of less people, which is the emergent result of all free trading games anyway. It’s not cutting off the nose to spite the face for the left to want to rectify that. In a lot of ways, growth is bad for us - psychologically as well as socio-politically and environmentally speaking.

I had a quick read about Ergodicity. If I’m understanding it properly, it sounds like a measure of consistency and fairness - the average for individuals over a long time matching the average for everyone at any one time, or something similar?
Sounds reasonable.
You seem to be relating it to an aversion to nepotism? Nepotism can and will happen in free markets, which is just another one of the anti-meritcratic consequences of free markets.

Since you wrote this post, I noticed you replied to my Pareto Distribution of Wealth thread - I’ll hopefully respond to what you said on that thread at some point.

The final paragraph in the above quote is exactly what I’m getting at.

There’s just too many people, myself included, whose instincts like those in said paragraph completely nullify the selfish instincts we were discussing before as “human nature” or not - such as the seeming urge to sabotage others even if it includes self-sabotage simply to maintain a competitive advantage: I don’t have any of that at all, except in competitive game situations with negligible real-world impact.

My point is that if many people have one side of their instincts dominating the other, and many other people vice versa, what use is an average? An average just tells us about those in between at the cost of telling us amount far far more than mere minorities/exceptions either side.
That’s my only issue, I know you’re not apologising for the existence of selfish human instincts, and I agree we’re not blank slates.

It’s true that the dynamics of an organisation isn’t something the general populace are going to understand, to give the organisation’s decisions the correct context - so there’s little point in transparency in that respect. There’s going to be a lack of empathy, rationality and sufficient study all over the general populace - especially between people with very different lives to one another, as you say.

That’s not to say that fairness can’t be garnered from it scientifically - when with current privacy in place it can barely be speculated. Though I agree that this is inevitably going to be at odds with the perception of fairness, as you also point out, at least at first. One thing that the current privacy that we have in place has in its favour is that it keeps latent the majority of outcry against it, simmering away relatively calmly as a general political resentment that most accept or at least don’t fight. I would argue though that this is mainly because of general public ignorance, which rubs me up the wrong way on a personal level at the very least. In light of your comments on this matter, I’m not entirely sure how much more transparent things ought to get - purely out of distrust of the public’s ability to deal with it if privacy were removed. Ironically this is no doubt the same kind of distrust that would cause the misunderstandings that would arise if transparency allowed people with different lives to judge one another too harshly… I’ll have to think about this one.