Misinterpreting Nietzsche

I’m sure there will be new interpretations in the future.

I noticed how you loaded the question with the word ‘misrepresentations’. :wink:

As if you know the correct interpretation now. :evilfun:

“furious”, “demented background” , “heinous picture”

I know that you are in love but you need to step back and be a bit detached. N is one philosopher among many. N is not the messiah. The philosophy department is a small part of a university.

Academic philosophy is about getting paid to write papers for other academics to read and reading papers that other academics have written. The papers are about what old dead guys wrote. Beside that, there is lecturing to uninterested students and interested students who want to read and write about old dead guys.

(I actually I’m not that cynical about education in general and university in particular. :smiley:

But the purpose of education is not to fill empty pots with juice. )

I can’t disagree with that. But I can argue against your “knowing the correct interpretation” claim, but that’s going to be loooooooooooooooot of work for you and I to tackle right now. Is this an epistemic issue? Is there some kind of false stigma around being a professional academic or life in University?

While I don’t ever want to defend misinterpretations of someone’s work, I do have to say that intellectually honest people should have no problem approaching Nietzsche and learning something from him regardless of how he is presented in some introductory course. If someone is put off by a thinker before ever reading said thinker than they are philosophically useless anyhow.