Land

Yet you do not hail Egypt, Iraq, Brazil, Africa? Or Atlantis if it existed?

You can’t truly love the world if you claim one piece is superior or more holy than the other, how can anyone?

Usually it is the land where one was born and grew up that is seen as hallowed. Thus all land is holy if it allowed birth and growth of humans and other animals.
Am. Natives see the ground as sacred since it is the place where their ancestors thrived. Uprooted modern people cannot see land in the same way–as Mother and sustainer.

I cant know how much youve thought about this, but not long. Possibly you arent truly being serious.

I name 3 names. Do you really think this means what you suggest it means about what I dont mention?

If I say I like steak, do you assume that I must not care about eggs?

The great big mystery with valuing, and praising and haipng and loving and appreciating, is that it is only real, or possible, or truthful, when it is actual…

The idea that one can or even should value what one hasnt experienced is the very ground of nihilism.

Hence, the term “uprooted” (Ier) is an excellent choice.

To think that to value something and not something else is a dishonest and wrong act is a widely spread habit. I am so very proud to not understand how this thought can be sustained. I have given up the idea that people should be educated here - valuing, and how one regards it, is preconscious and cant be changed.

Fertility of Earth is a concept lost on those who buy packaged foods in supermarkets. Likewise, moving from one place to another often estranges one from the concept of home.
Yet it is the fertility of the Earth that sustains us and the sense of a place we can call home that can be considered hallowed ground. Displaced persons cannot understand what makes land holy.

This makes me, now as my eyes fall on the grass in the sun next to me, deeply happy.
Because the reverse is just as true, those that are in their place, do know the holiness of land. And there is nothing that holiness generates as directly as joy, and gratitude.

I’m just saying I don’t think there is one environment better than the other, regardless of preferences, subjectively of course, objectively not so much.

I just think of the entire world as holy or non holy. The oceans provide food, travel, water if filtered, and obviously effects the environments/world directly. The desert produces a certain set of aspects, foods, animals, etc along with all other unique environments. I just don’t view Israel as holy or support their entitlement to it, anyone’s entitlement to any land anyway. Not for those reasons at least.

Religion doesn’t seem to create these brutal natures, selfishness, fear and war mongerers, statism and systematic worshipping, etc. It seems it only is there as an attempt at justifying them, rather than producing these behaviors.

I guess allz m saying is if youre going to make a claim on behalf of the entire world, it better be one for its holiness.
For to claim the nonholiness of something beloved dearly by a people for thousands of years is to place oneself out of the equation of reality. “Postmodernism” - groundlessness, seeking truth in its absence. Nihilism choking on its own emptiness, etc.

You can not deny another creature its love. A being will love and hallow what it loves and hallows. That is what that being is.

As mentioned, holiness is (obviously) in the blesser. But the blessing occurs between the blesser and the blessed. And the blesser is blessed by his blessing. This is how the land hallows the man.

Are you shocked, haha?

Pacifists…

Enjoy your meat this evening.

Nope, not at all. Not a pacifist either and I enjoy my red meat cooked well done.

I’m just a man basking in the true nature of humanity displayed everywhere around the world. I revel in it all.

Ok then.

The land would be holy from good memory and history, not because of some divine being or possibly made up stories. Or even due to certain aspects of an environment that people enjoy.

If we claim lands holy from divine beings and religion then Iraq is the most ‘holy’ land, for it was the land of Sumer. Israel is nothing compared to it.

Youve got it backwards. The land of Israel has a god because its inhabitants valued so strongly as to invent a god.

I assume when Im here that everyone is thinking in terms of philosophy, and not of dogma.

I assume no one is as backwards as to think holiness can exist independetly of the one who deems it holy.

Come on, fellow ilpers, lets assume we arent in Islamic preschool.

Not the response that I was expecting.

holy
adjective, holier, holiest.

1. sacred; consecrated: holy ground.
  2. dedicated or devoted to the service of God, the church, or religion: a holy man.
  3. saintly; godly; pious; devout: a holy life.
  4. having a spiritually pure quality: a holy love.
  5. entitled to worship or veneration as or as if sacred: a holy relic.
  6. religious: holy rites.
  7. inspiring fear, awe, or grave distress: The director, when angry, is a holy terror.

These meanings all interconnect, since something sacred or consecrated is dedicated to some deity etc. The same is to be said of holy lives, love, relics, rites etc. as well.

Therefore, to declare a land holy or hallowed, sacred or consecrated, one must declare it dedicated to the service of God – or whatever we deem as being worth serving in this way.

Perhaps we deem love as the supreme value worth serving and consecrate our lives or homes to doing that. That would make sense.

Instead, it just seems to be a bunch of words used by some exclusivist group, who deem themselves superior in some way.

That’s how I view it, they think they’re more supreme and more “holy”, better in gods view than the rest of the world.

“We are part of the earth and it is part of us.
This we know,
The earth does not belong to us,
We belong to the earth”–Chief Seattle.

I would say that we are the earth in another diverse way. We can’t exist without it, just as we can’t exist without our heart.

The earth, for Am. Natives, is holy because it gives life. Most others cannot see earth as life giving beyond supermarket, prepackage foods. I’d say the modern concept of the land is due to prepackaged ideas.