Justice and freedom of speech?

The views about supernatural penises that you don’t actually have? The views that you’re above the standards of discourse that everyone else is held to? Correct, those are worthless. Religious fascism, right here.

You can’t know that for certain. What if everybody just said that every time they thought of something being unlikely?

No, but that I have the right to express my views just like anybody else, even if they are controversial.

You’re not presenting your religious views. You know it and everyone else knows it.

I could say that to a Christian or a Hindu or a Muslim or a Jew or a Buddhist or any other member of a religion. “I find your religion so absurd that I don’t believe you actually believe shit like that.” Sounds pretty offensive, right?

Yet when you tell it about my religious experiences it’s ok? How so?

In real life you could have made this point by saying, “here is a hand” and then pulling back like you were gonna do a pimp slap.

That’s because it’s as evident as can be that he’s not actually arguing his position. As evident as a hand in front of you.

Put that in your pipe and smoke it.

Because, pedantic whining aside, I’m not a complete fucking tool, as explained. Since you keep choosing to insinuate otherwise and pretending to have beliefs we both know you font have, you don’t get any more attention. That’s how one punishes children.

3Sum,

I do not think that anyone will restrict you criticising any religion, at least at ILP.
But, you are not criticising but demeaning.
And, any person, who is able to read English, can understand that easily.

This is true that there are many questionable practices and notions in the religions. Atheists criticise that, thiests oppose and try to justify their case. That is fine.

But, as i said before, you were not criticising but just try to show others that how intelligent and innovative you are as you proved that the penis serves the porpose of an antena while receiving spiritual inputs from the God.

That is not even a criticism because you are saying that priests receive signals through their penises. That simply means you are accepting that there is a God and he also communicates with the priests. On the other hand you say that you are an atheist. That is not only oxymoron but also indicates that you are not trying to present any argument but just making mockery of Christianity.

That is not acceptable.

You certainly have freedom of speech but misusing that hence that freedom should be withdrawn from you.
That is how our whole legal system works and we withdraw the liberties and rights of the culprits.

I also have freedom os speech but that does not mean that i can abuse you. Freedoms are not infinites but limited only.
So, you better learn to respect those boundries, instead of arguing.

with love,
sanjay

I’m not saying you’re a tool, I’m saying that if it’s so OBVIOUS that there is some relevant difference about my penis antenna which makes it improbable compared to the virgin born son of god crucified and resurrected you’d have put it forward. Since you can’t do that you rely on your knowledge of my previous posts and using common sense in this case while ignoring it in most other cases when it comes to religious subjects. You’re actually proving the point of my thread by being unable to point out the difference…

Unnecessary boundries make this world boring. If one can’t say that something ridiculous is… well, RIDICULOUS, there’s something seriously WRONG with the world. And if one can say that a thing A is ridiculous but can’t say that a thing B is ridiculous even if they’re both about equally ridiculous then it means that there is something even more seriously wrong with the world…

3sum, you’re the one saying they’re similar. That puts the burden on you to establish that. Very basic stuff here man.

I’ll edit out the part of my OP I ask about my PoE thread and make a new one about it, as all the attention in this thread has been focused on my other thread. TBH I don’t even care about that thread that much, I argued more as a matter of principle and because I felt injustice has been done to me (and still do, but that’s life, right?).

At least when it comes to this I can see the moderators point of view, but I wonder what reason will be given as to why my PoE was put into The Rant House, cause I can honestly see none.

You’re showing a complete lack of basic reading comprehension if you think that that difference in probability is what got your thread moved. That is not the relevant difference. The relevant difference has been explicitly stated at least twice. Show your intelligence and find it.

It is relevant that the a large portion of the world’s population sincerely believes in a virgin born god child who came back to life, and to my knowledge there is no one who sincerely believes in a penis antenna. The suggestion that someone could hypothetically believe that is different from a true and widespread belief. And the two beliefs, and threads advancing them, deserve different treatment. There are multiple metrics on which to evaluate a thread, probability is only one, and here it is not the relevant one.

I’ll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume that your intention in that thread was to make an argument against religious using a facetious comparison: believing in a virgin birth etc. is like believing in a penis antenna. On a practical note, that’s at best a boring argument; you’ll find that it doesn’t persuade anyone. Worse, it will tend to alienate moderate people who might otherwise be on your side. Anyone who thinks that the religion avowed by every president to date of the US might be different than a belief in a penis antenna is likely to be pushed away from atheism if this is their experience of it.

Also, you make a mockery of a robust conception of free speech when you suggest that a clown and a scholar must have equal access to all venues. That is not what free speech entails.

Dear 3sum,

I apologize for not noticing this thread sooner- I don’t often check this section of the forums, and the thread title didn’t immediately suggest it was something to do with me.
I moved your threads to the Rant House because they suck. I hope this helps.

Uccisore

“I can’t remember where I heard this, but someone once said that defending a position by citing free speech is sort of the ultimate concession; you’re saying that the most compelling thing you can say for your position is that it’s not literally illegal to express.” – Float Text

Link to source

Edited twice to add content.

I saw that, but I only somewhat agree. Free speech is both a body of political theory and a doctrine of US Constitutional law. If by free speech, someone really means “the goals of this site require that ideas such as these be expressible”, that’s a legitimate argument that should be taken into consideration (and which I try to take into consideration). But even the theoretical notion of a freedom of speech is no coextensive with the set of possible linguistic utterances. Some things can be said which only the most radical (and impracticable) conceptions of the freedom of speech would protect.

In this context, penis antennas is one of them.

But if a large portion of the world believes in the virgin born god child who came back to life, WHY is it so weird to hear that somebody believes in a penis antenna? It’s all about childhood indoctrination - you can make children believe anything if an authority teaches them about it while they’re young. Teach a child that a penis is an antenna and they’ll believe you.

Actually, that’s just one of the points of my thread. The main point is that the reasons the Christian authorities give for not employing women in higher ranked positions are so insufficient, laughable and just overall bad that they might as well say “No penis, no higher position in our religion’s hierarchy. Fuck you for being born with a vagina”

The point is that the idea isn’t any less absurd, it’s just that one of them is indoctrinated into children’s minds while they’re young and the other isn’t, and once a person is indoctrinated with an idea in childhood (no matter how absurd), it’s hard to let go of it.

If the majority of people believed in penis antennas I can assure you we’d have presidents trying to appeal to masses by saying how they speak with the almighty daily by receiving his signals and instructions with their penis antennas.

No, my notion of free speech is radical, but not that radical. All I’m saying is that if ideas are about equally absurd it doesn’t matter how many people believe/not believe them and we should have equal rights to discuss those ideas.

Still butthurt? :obscene-sexualbutt:

I’m not American so I don’t care about the first amendment. However, that’s a shitty quote. I want the freedom of DEFENDING MY POSITION of a penis being an antenna, that is the issue. I can come up with arguments for the penis antenna, but I’m not allowed (and by that I mean that my thread was moved without anybody even successfully criticizing my ideas).

I’m thinking of freedom of assembly too. You could have a forum where you aren’t allowed to say the word ‘shit’, or talk about politics, or endorse Catholicism, or whatever, reason being the initial founders of the site wanted a place where they aren’t exposed to those things because they hate them or because they work against some other goal of the site. It seems to me that creating a space in which certain kinds of speech aren’t permitted isn’t a restriction on free speech, but an expression of it. Or maybe we just embrace paradox and say it’s both.

That’s too bad. Though, being American does not require caring about the first amendment either.

I thought it was funny.

But, no one criticized it, according to you. What’s to defend it from?

They just moved it to the rant house… You can still defend it from there…

Penis Antenna!

Even ignoring the US Constitution aspects, the rest of the arguments hold. This is still ultimately a group that can decide to stop listening. If what 3Sum was posting was stopped by moderators, it is not a freedom of speech issue, because he is still allowed to speak, just not necessarily on the religious board on this topic. Freedom of speech, legal or otherwise, does not stop consequences, it can result in what you are saying being banish to another form. Even if the subject is Penis Antennas… Which is a fun collection of words to say… Penis Antennas… It could be a great punk band name… Penis Antennas…