Is New York anything like Old York?

Yeah but, RuPaul does way more than she does, and we don’t have to fund his ass with tax payer money.

As jobs go, she did rather poorly in hers. Seems like her only skill set is waving while the British Empire collapses around her. British Isles themselves are imploring, she keeps waving.

Which hole have you guys been plugging the D batteries battery into? You need to shove it up her angry hole, so she gets shit done. The hole your putting it into, she got a little too accepting of. Put sparky in the back, and you’ll get result. Scots try to secceed, she will send the British Army to Boston Massacre those bitches. Teach them who is boss.

Tab,

With all due respect for the queen of your past, given the current situation, aren’t you supposed to start playing kissyface with them commie reds?

York has very narrow medieval streets, often cobbled, in a very confusing and apparently random layout. It has a Roman wall around the town and about a hundred pubs, mostly medieval. It is also famous for its ghosts, including an entire Roman legion, apparently. It was once the residence of Constantine the Great and hence the de facto capital of the Roman Empire.

Sorry guys, can’t hear you, BECAUSE OF ALL THE QUEEN.

It was a regional capital at best, not THE capital of the Roman Empire. Maybe when Hadrian had to of briefly passed through, but that is pushing it. Hard to say he held court in what would become York.

Constantine was resident in York when he was proclaimed emperor by his troops. he didn’t stay there long after that, though. Other more recent famous residents include Richard III, before he became king, when he was governor of the north. After his body was found in a car park in Leicester a few years ago York Minster wanted him to be reburied there, but instead he went to Leicester Cathedral.

Your not Emperor till the Senate approves you. It is why every emperor except Thrax (for very obvious reasons) until the 4th Crusade made a effort to get the Senate to approve them.

Senate didn’t like Thrax at all.

Constantine still had his brother in Rome. Hence the necessity of removing him. I can’t say York was a capital OF Rome, but was a regional roman capital. Honestly, the eastern port of Hadrian’s Wall was probably more important than York at times as a regional capital as well. York was a excellent fall back position.

I know Roman British history pretty well, I get muddled once the dark ages hit. I don’t want to read Historia Regum Britanniae until I can afford to take three weeks to backpack around England looking up sites. I know half is shit history in that book, read many excepts, but would rather just read it with a site to site reference. I hear the English have been civilizing their diets with a chain of New York style Pizza, so I don’t have to eat hummus and spotted dick.

That journey is some way off though, year or two if my business goes well. Knowing my luck it will rain constantly. I’m told my father was of british descent, don’t know shit else. Don’t know how my ancestors were content to live on a tiny island with midget people speaking with bad accents. Much easier to embrace the German side, at least they got more tolerable weather and got to stretch their legs.

Maybe York City Council like to promote the idea it was once the Roman capital. Don’t know why they need to bother though, as it has more ancient sites than anywhere else, I should imagine.

Geoffrey of Monmouth is definitely worth a read, if you get the chance, and your plan to follow it on the ground sounds brilliant. He mentions York quite a lot, as it happens, and Constantine too, for that matter, since he was the first Christian emperor.

No, Alexander Severus was. Emperor Thrax killed him because he wasn’t Pagan or militant enough… which really upsetted the senate. Senate didn’t care about Christians, they lacked political power, was largely a eastern religion till then. He adopted the religion from his mother, and was from the long lasting Severus dynasty.

Thrax killed him when he decided to just bribe the Germans on his mother’s advice… which is very sound, cause Severus just fought a Asian War , the monetary value of the currency had to be debased to pay for it, and the legions overstretched. He wanted to build a Christian “temple” to Christ in Rome, and had The Golden Rule and other Christian sayings inscribed in the walls of the imperial palace.

After he was killed by Thraz, they dified him as a God… Showing that the Roman Senate really didn’t get how this Christianity thing worked. Then the Senate started raising armies and appointing emperors against Thrax, hell bent to keep him out of Roman at any cost. Alot of emperors died before they gained success.

Thrax marks the point when Rome went from the imperial economy to the more localized manorial system. It started with the breakdown of the road systems, decreased trade. Romans, free… increasingly were turned into Coloni. Prior to Constantine they tried to stabilize market fluctuations by decreeing all trades hereditary… something only challenged with the reemergence of medieval free cities and the decline of guilds.

He wasn’t the only Christian Emperor, Philip the Arab certainly was a Christian at least for a while… Pagan Emperors don’t make a habit of kneeling outside Christian churches repenting of their sins to the Bishops satisfaction like he and his wife did, I find it absolutely bizarre why some historians act muddled at this point.

We even had one roman emperor, Galerous after persecuting the Christians so very bad, ended up granting toleration to the Christian church, and ordered all the Christians to pray to God for him. He became convinced his bodily afflictions resulted from the Christian God’s wrath. I am doubtful rather we should take this as a conversion to monotheism.

Roman Christianity therefore wasn’t always centered around Constantine, and far too often, I can’t say Constantine was particularly christian. I usually dismiss his icons as a joke… and am left to wonder how Alexander Severus managed to not become canonized as a saint.
Despite modern appearances (largely borrowing from senatorial practice of deifying emperors) you can’t elect or vote a person into sainthood, or vice versa. A saint is a saint in relation to God, not the dictates of man or church. You have expected signs and nondecaying remains and miracles associated with them, but you can’t just say “so and so is a saint” by popular vote and because the person is popular. It was suggested I press the issue, but if he has made no claim to the office, it isn’t my place to campaign for him… we got plenty enough of exotic saints all over that are unofficial, I don’t want to be responsible for another, no matter how much more he deserves it as a imperial martyr than constantine does.

It would appear that Alexander Severus was a Christian in the same sense that Redwald of East Anglia was. After Redwald’s conversion, he placed a small figurine of Jesus alongside those of the other gods on his altar.

Probably… we hadn’t had the whole Iconoclasm division yet in Christianity, and I don’t think Origen was pushing him too hard on orthodoxy.

I can assure you any worship of statues of God amongst idols wouldn’t of passed mustard very long in any sanction roman christian temple amongst the Christians, but it does show how very differently Christianity would of behaved had it been brought in under more tolerant circumstances. I very much doubt you would of seen the brutal repression Christianity thereafter imposed back on pagan religions as it did after it had been severely persecuted Post-Thrax until Constantine. The religion morphed a bit during those times, became more resentful of it’s treatment, explored Martyrology a bit more, as well as gave bishops experience in converting entire cities in independence and isolation from the imperial authorities who would rather they just die. The Gothic invasions were a good catalyst for this, as the pagans fleeing the Goths often were saved by the local Christians and taught to survive outside the cities in hideouts, and the bishops acted as secular as well as community leaders… when the townspeople returned, they were far more tolerant of Christianity, with Hugh conversion rates. Of course, didn’t always happen that way, but gives you some insight why Constantine’s dynasty, when it couldn’t for a time keep the imperial administration going, just looked to the bishops to run things. They eventually did reassert authority, but the bishops never lost that respect either… why in the eastern empire the Coptic, Syrians, And Greeks split so sharply politically.

We never would of developed those sorts of intolerant geopolitical splits lead seemingly by doctrine had Christianity had a soft peaceful introduction. There wouldn’t of been a balance between church and state, as Christianity wouldn’t of presumed or demanded supremacy, being one of many religions. I have very little doubt given the trajectory christianity was taking then it would of become the majority religion, but I think it would of been far more tolerant till the end. Rome wasn’t the only country Christianity developed in, in other places, it dealt with plurality with less hostility. I just wouldn’t extend that plurality to within christianity… The church has never seemed at odds at inducting a rite or ritual into itself as long as it didn’t contradict a aspect of the faith, but I’m severely doubting in any era we would of allowed a Pantheon of other gods to compete within the church. Closest you get to that is in the Voodoo religions. Big no-no in christianity… you want to walk on your hands like that pagans do in ritual holding lit candles up by your feet chanting… so be it, whatever… but it will be a chant by a christian God, and not the others. We’ve always been largely relaxed about such things. Both Judiasm and Christianity adopted foreign priesthoods as the basis of administering the rites, conduct of rituals in the church, Abraham, Moses, or Jesus didn’t invent them, they just inducted another cults methods. We get Baptism for example from John the Baptist… The Mandaean religion, which is still around.

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mandaeism

Christianity also got the idea of a ritual feast, symbolically communing with their god by eating him, from Mithraism, as well as the idea of their god being slain and rising on the third day, not to mention various feast days like 25 December.

I don’t see how Geoffrey of Monmouth could of been supposedly so lacking in historical sources, when just a generation later John of Salisbury could write such a massive amount on Roman and Greek history, some of the sources since lost.

Find it very stumping. England was teeming in books back them, plenty of well read monastic masters to go about and recommend him to so and so. I find it bizarre. I find his claims he couldn’t find much to be bizarre. In many ways, he had better access than I do.

Geoffrey claimed to base is work on a Welsh original. He knew, for example, that Stonehenge was brought to England from further west, though he mistakenly thought it was Ireland, rather than Wales, as we now know. At least for the original stones, anyway.

No, we didn’t get it from Mithraism, that religion wasn’t developed yet in full from the pirates that Pompey smashed. They did become competitive a few centuries later, after we already had the communion established. They sacrificed animals in underdound lairs, we had buffets where we started by divideding up bread and water. Two don’t much resemble one another, and I’m not aware if borrowing it. I wouldn’t dispute it if it was found we borrowed the concept, but it certainly wasn’t from the very, very early mithraic cult. It was still congealing around scattered ideas at that time… Stoic astrology, bee keeper religions, persian myths. Wasn’t a proper roman religion yet.

All of those mystery religions, Christianity included, were evolving at the time and influencing each other. It was only later that orthodoxies emerged. Christian orthodoxy rejected its own Gnostic heritage, for example.

Yeah, I know about the Walter of Oxford story, it was what caused me to check the dates to John of Salisbury.

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walter_of_Oxford

I’m looking to see if any English with Latin side by side translations exist, and thought a scholar would of ran John of Salisbury through this work… I can’t find any evidence this happened yet.

Which causes me a bit of anxiety, realizing there is a massive hole in british scholastic. I tend to find a lot in such bunches, and I’ve seeing a roaring gulf of possibilities in this. John didn’t write small manuscripts, some of his works have yet to be translated yet. They are large and brutal in scope, largely composed of quotes from historical sources. It us why I’m stumped I can’t see a online commentary that lists them both, no way you can write a history in this era and not use some if the books John would later on use. Even if he did indeed make up shit left and right… the historical names came from somewhere.

Christianity rejected Gnosticism for the same reason Judism did.

Why is December 25 a feast day. Vibes from the planet alignment.?