Is Global Warming Real?

No, it didn’t mention any conspiracies about 9/11. For a very good reason, in my opinion, namely, there weren’t any. Except the obvious one, that a bunch of Muslims decided to commit mass terror in the name of Allah.

Maia - let me get this straight. You’re an environmentalist that thinks that driving zillions of cars around and around every day doesn’t have an adverse effect on the atmosphere?

I didn’t say anything about government intervention or violent imposition. However, I don’t think it’s best to let each individual decide what is compatible with their beliefs. Some people’s beliefs are wrong and they shouldn’t be allowed to justify careless behavior because of them. Take “dommsdayers”, for example, who believe the world will be ending soon so it doesn’t matter what we do to it. That isn’t a remotely practical or beneficial attitude.

Actually yes, there clearly is an indication of that. I don’t get why you keep comparing us to dinosaurs. Carbon dioxide and methane are detrimental to life at certain levels. Also, the build up of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere increases the greenhouse effect, which contributes to global warming.

Maia,

I realize you would have problems “seeing” satellite images of arctic and Greenland ice melt, but have someone you trust to google up those satellite images and tell you what they see. I think some of your information is either skewed or dead wrong. The ice melt is happening - period. The same thing is happening in Antarctica as well. The satellite images provide overwhelming proof of global ice melt. I didn’t mention glacier retreat, but that is happening all over the globe as well.

Of course, all the pictures could have been photoshopped, but that leads to conspiracy theory and I’ll have no part of that until someone provides proof positive that global warming is a hoax. The evidence that global warming is occurring is overwhelming.

No, I’m sure it does. It doesn’t cause global warming though.

There’s no evidence that increased carbon dioxide causes the greenhouse effect, and good evidence that it doesn’t. The greenhouse effect is actually caused by water vapour, which is dependent on cloud cover, which in turn is dependent on the sun’s magnetic field.

No, there are multiple greenhouse gases. And carbon monoxide molecules absorb heat energy—that’s your evidence. I’d love to see evidence to the contrary if you have it.

Why not? Because you say so?

Good old argument by assertion that avoids the key question, namely how this ‘bunch of Muslims’ managed to successfully evade the CIA, NSA, FBI, DIA, NORAD and the rest of the multi-trillion dollar military intelligence complex of the United States. And not how this did this once, on the morning of 9/11, but did this consistently since 1989, from the point at which that military intelligence complex last admits that this ‘bunch of Muslims’ was our proxy army against the Soviets. It also avoids the issue of this same ‘bunch of Muslims’ continuing to function as our proxy army against the Serbs in Bosnia and Kosovo, against Gaddafi in Libya (at least twice), against the Iranian theocracy (Jundullah and the MEK), as well as being used by the Algerian, Pakistani, Saudi, Egyptian and Afghan security services within their own borders and beyond.

But fuck all that, right? That doesn’t matter, because it’s easier to just think some bunch of Muslims did it.

The gasses you refer to comprise only a tiny fraction of the warming effect, a few percent at most. Water vapour causes the rest. Furthermore, human actions hardly contribute to carbon dioxide or monoxide levels anyway, so it’s totally irrelevent to describe what its molecules do, there simply aren’t enough of them to make a difference.

All the evidence is in the book I cited.

I prefer to place the blame precisely where it belongs.

In the land of lies, ALL “evidence” is dubious, whether about conspiracies or global warming (not that there is a difference).

Because “the book” says so, I guess.

I don’t know if your proportions are correct, but notice that you are admitting here that warming is taking place.

Actually, we do contribute to carbon monoxide levels, and it is clearly making a difference. I think it’s time for you to expand the scope of your research beyond a single book.

Don’t dismiss it, till you read it.

Jesus. And you’re the one calling them fundamentalists…

The book itself quotes all relevent research, including the fabricated pro-global warming research.

The difference we make to any of these levels is so small as to be statistically insignificant.

No, I never used that term at all.

I’m not, actually. But you’ve used one book to dismiss the overwhelming majority of disciplined research that has supported the opposite conclusion.

Actually more like one chapter of a book. Other chapters deal with ‘lies’ about asbestos, second-hand smoke, mad cow disease, etc.