Emulation

Forgive me for jumping in at a random point in this thread but I’m bored shitless. Anyway, wouldn’t those “others” be merely recognizing a standard and not necessarily the “creativity.” For instance, it’s said that certain people are “ahead of their time” meaning their creativity (or products of) isn’t officially recognised in the present but maybe at a later date. So, it would seem wrong to claim someone isn’t creative simply because you fail to recognise their creativity.

Sorry? You lost me. What would be a creative act on my part? And what is your purpose?

Why would it have to be understood by multiple beings?

Interesting. So if more people recognize person X as creative versus person Y, person X is automatically more creative than Y – no matter what it is they have done? So whatever’s popular is creative?
Also, see trevor’s post.

No problem, Trevor. Jumping in is what forums are for. Yes, it would be wrong to claim someone isn’t creative simply because you failed to recognize their creativity. My point, though, is that it must be possible for creativity to be recognized. What is creativity and how is it recognized? Can there be creativity that doesn’t depend on knowledge of context and convention? Can there be creativity where there is only relationship to context and convention? Consider the notion that “accident is the mother of invention”. Is it the accident itself that is the creative act? Or is it the ability to see the worth of the accident and utilize it to advantage?

Fuse, see this answer to Trevor. To me, it essentially makes my point to you again.

anon wrote…

I don’t think that’s necessarily true, anon. Creativity is part of flow, isn’t it? One is born being creative, having a particular talent.
Creativity is part of a natural energy…like the Sun’s which affects the planets and our own environment. Does the Sun need training in giving off energy/heat?
What we can do is practice ways in which to harness and hone that creativity. But creativity STILL occurs without training.

So we do not have our own inner voice which speaks to us and defines the way in which our creativity will come to life? Is this what you are saying, anon?

I was taught the same thing back in Sunday School, but I think the notion is unsupportable in the absence of a belief in God.

I think you’re confusing the capacity for creativity with creativity itself.

I don’t think there is any inherently inner voice. Your inner voice is born from, and shaped by, other voices. It is not some kind of pure creativity. It is not your direct line from God.