Do personality disorders truly exist?

I recovered this, to augment my 'is existentialism a bordeline condition or vica versa, to be able to show a precedential material to help along a very interesting topic. Any suggestion as to how the two topics may be connected? In addition, there are acute similaities in content of this, with the formal framework of the former.

Can anyone here give a definition of what it means to be normal?

normal means doctors cant get paid…

Normal is generally noted as one’s ability to successfully socialize. But as Krishnamurti noted, it is no measure of sanity to be considered sane in a society that is not sane.

In a population of slaves, you don’t want any to stand out.

Exactly. However, is slavery part systemic and part ‘system’ knowing , how to manipulate. This mixture becomes an ironclad ‘state of mind’, whereby, the ‘system’ has a way out into the very confusion of which it is begotten. Nice! This anomaly IS the personality disorder, per se.

I’ll tell you what a personality disorder is. A personality disorder is never getting to know the taste of your nemesis’s cries as you run him with the sword. Never getting to empathize with his struggling heart, as blood pours out, as he gurgles his own blood, struggling to breathe. A personality disorder is never hunting for your food, not knowing what death and pain is, and buying slaughtered lambs, casually, without heart, at a supermarket. A personality disorder is knowing that you never feel the glory of leading your loved ones to safety, or saving them from peril. Never knowing the satisfaction of defeating a foe in battle, only a nameless pawn, a nameless sheep, attacking you from a thousand yards away, never seeing the twinkle in his eye fade out. A personality disorder is knowing that the closest thing to a life crisis you’ll ever face is choosing what airlines to go on vacation with. A personality disorder is that noone will ever love you, or appreciate your natural born talents, and that the only people they will love are people who can conform to a cubicle, conform to the hierarchy better than you, and that you will always be an outsider, never loved, never wanted, never welcomed. A personality disorder is never feeling your life could be gone at any moment, and thus never cherishing mere existence, mere oxygen. A personality disorder is knowing that you will never roam free, never breathe fresh air, never get any exercise, never question the rules, never question what is presented. That my friend is a personality disorder.

I totally agree with the op, and I really hate ‘support communism’ too ~ all that sitting around in circles uncomfortably sharing thoughts and concerns etc.

Sounds to me like you need to man up.

I don’t mind confiding in people I know, and who understand me at least a bit. That’s a far cry from the state and society {coercing} us into doing what is good for us etc. Put these people here and those there bla bla.

the guys making money on peoples problems need to make up a diagnosis in order to get paid…
a doctor doesn’t get paid without some diagnosis

I think that the labels ARE important when it comes to psychiatric diagnoses. They’re like beacons which have to point the way to what the issue/problem is. One size does not fit all - just like one pill or a group of -different pills don’t fit all categories of mental illness. It’s not an exact science.

To naturally assume that mental illness is no more than the normal variation of human personality is just being in denial, not wanting to face the truth of things. Now there is the ostrich with his head in the sand.
Sure Van Gogh was a genius and in -part his bi-polar illness perhaps made his genius even more pronounced - maybe it didn.t I don’t know. Cutting off one’s ear is not simply a normal variation of human personality.
I dance in the rain barefoot. That would be a normal variation of human personality - at least to me it would be.
Virginia Woolf agonized over things and killed herself. That’s not a normal variation of human personality.

We can all at times be a bit moody and estatic and sad and lyrical but to the degree to which we are determines mental illness or our natural human variations of human personality.
It’s like the difference between a pretty well tuned for the most part and harmonious beautifully playing violin and one which causes us to cringe and cover our ears.

it is not so simple…persons with schizophrenia may also be sociopathic

Rigtht Arc, and uetle You are both right and wrong. Classifications are important, but reeeeel schiz is definigely NOT a personality problem. It is a cognitive disorder, waaaaay more delirious. They are caused by total retreat from the problem with the personality & the assesment of the severity of social intercourse.
The personality shifts from BOTH the perception/awareness of conditions and thr conditions it finds itself. The fight has been given up as not worth the effort. The fear becomes it’s own momentum, collapsing intomthe vertex. Optically, the dispersove process is totally eclipsed by the reflective absorption from a complex and totally identifiable level of regression, to a point of no return.