1=.999999...?

At infinity??? You’re talking about infinity as if it were an actual place. Get this concept through your head: INFINITY MEANS “NO END” - ergo, there’s no “place” where a 7 suddenly shows up!

Now you’re going to say:

To which I will say:

And at this point, you’ll start your whole argument over from the beginning… as if repeating it over and over again will eventually make it right.

I think I’ll carry on with this for a little while longer… just to see what else you come up with… but discussions like this in which no progress is made tends to get dull and I eventually leave out of shear bordom.

to each his own in the end right?

but on a more rational note why would you ruin a perfectly good number? we say .333[bar] because thats the only way we can plug them into calculators.

its use is in fact avoided due to its obvious lack of precision. as it can never truly equal one third.

i understand the misconception you understand, but it is irrelevant in light of the fact that .333[bar] is imprecise to begin with. it in fact does not equal one even if you had "never ending 9’s, because they would never tally up to 1, cause theres only 9’s.

i just thought of a really good mental example.

imagine a singularity… a grain of sand you could say, except it is infinitely divisible… (this represents 1).

the singularity has a value of 1.

now imagine i give you a pick to pick away at this grain of sand, but you can only chip away .9 of what is there at a time…

your first you collect stroke… .9

.1 remains

you collect on the second stroke… .09

.01 remains

its easy to say that no matter how long he chips away, there will always be a remainder…

what is easy to misconstrue however is this.

when you chip away at the stone infinitely you will not consume the whole thing, rather you will be left with an infinitely small remainder

cheers :sunglasses:

sorry
.99999… is not the same as 1
you can keep saying they are but -that does not make it so
if the 6s in .66666. never end
same applies to the 9s in .999999…

and
to repeat
0-7 =3
so at infinity the last number must be 7
if it is not then
1.00000… -.333333… must be indeterminate by your argument as you cant take
a number that does not end away from a number that does not end -by your argument
ie there is no last numbers to subtract anything from
therefore
1.00000… -.333333… must be indeterminate

Yeah, I know you’re repeating.

to give support to the claim that 1.0000[R] - .333333[R] = .666666…7
GO TO SCI LOGIC

talkaboutscience.com/group/s … 99419.html

talkaboutscience.com/group/s … 99487.html

Whatever happened to good’ol rounding up to 2 deciaml places, and done - what’s with the debate on it? Why is it such a big issue: it wasn’t before! #-o

This level of math is very 15 year old/GCSE stuff, LJ… :unamused: I fail to see the big deal with the dilemma you have set-out, and math or the Universe itself, doesn’t care…

Wonderer,

Interesting thought experiment, but your misunderstanding lies here:

There is only a remainder when you stop dividing in a finite amount of time.

You have to understand this in terms of limits (think calculus). In terms of calculus, we would say that the process of dividing 1 into the parts .9 and .1, and then repeating on the .1 part, approaches 1. Because this process goes on forever, we never do arrive at 1 in a finite amount of time. That’s why in time there will always be a remainder. But given an infinite amount of time, we actually do end up reaching 1.

Of course, the number .999[bar] is not a process. It just has an infinite number of 9s right now. Therefore, it has already reached the number 1, and is therefore equal to it.

I understand what you mean by an infinitely small remainder, but this doesn’t make sense to me. It’s like saying you have an infinitely small number - like there’s a smallest possible quantity. To me, such a concept is incoherent as ALL numbers can be divided further. In effect, if there is a smallest possible quantity, it’s 0.

Yeah, but it’s fun to argue :wink:

sorry you where never taught

now colin leslie dean has just destroyed your whole education and mathematics as well

:laughing: I will continue to follow the, er, argument! :wink:

I was taught very well, thanks! :wink: so no need to feel sorry for me, LJ…

No! #-o

I just jest! we were taught the dilemma of math, but it does not deter the uasge of it’s application!

Very well put.

so you have a proof that
.9999[R] =1
and colin leslie dean proof that
.9999[R] =/ 1

so now maths is in contradiction and as colin leslie dean has shown ends in meaninglessness

he australian philosopher colin leslie dean shows you it does not
another example that maths ends in meaninglessness
let
x=.33333[BAR]
3x = .99999999 [BAR]
but you say
.99999999 [BAR] = 1
then
3x = 1
now 3x-x = 1- .333333[BAR]
2x = .6666666…7

therefore
x= (.6666666…7)/2

therefore

x= .333333…35
3x=1.000000…05
therefore we have now
.999999[bar] = 3x= 1.0…5 -a contradiction thus maths ends in
meaninglessness

We all know that Colin Leslie Dean is you, LJ. Quoting yourself doesn’t make you any more reputable.

support that 1/3=/ .33333[R]
FROM SCI LOGIC
talkaboutscience.com/group/s … 99512.html

Merci, Gib!

Haha, you sound like Anthem: when he had had enough of LJ, too! :laughing: LJ is good for testing one’s patience, so you do get something out of it! :wink:

sorry but here is where our notions diverge.

if something is zero than it has no quantity.

when you say “stop dividing” you already ruined our idea of infinite division…

if you never stopped, you would never be able to measure the remainder, it would be infinitely small.

once again i do not believe that something infinitely small equals zero… this assertion seems ludacris to me

I’ve got hoes in different area codes.

so no objections? :smiley:

This problem I think is perfectly reflective of discussions in physics that are still discussed. I don’t think I could disguss either as well as the professionals do, but they are both essentially the same problem. Even in logic- the universe has no finite structure. Yet- we see finite structure all the time. We are slaves of schrodinger’s cat, yet we see a LIVING cat or a DEAD cat every time. Is the problem we struggle with regarding quantum foam the same as this problem? The fact that multiple realities seem to exist? That the greater multiverse is deterministic, but not the universe? (And it’s not hippy talk, that last phrase is strictly out of textbook)

Gib seems to present it in a way that makes me want to consider .999bar = 1. The proof with multiplication is completely sensible. But so is the statement that two fractions cannot have the same numerator or denominator (pick one) , and yet different numerators or denominators (pick the other one) and still be the SAME number.

I’m not convinced of either side.